First remember that your backyard provides space that you don’t have to rent. The money you save can be put toward decorations and food. In fact, your backyard is a little more versatile than you might think.
If you utilize a combination of decorations, lights, and shade structures like awnings and patio covers, you can host a nice Christmas or New Year’s party for your family and friends. Try adding some drop curtains so you can enclose your backyard and provide a more intimate feel.
- Try installing a retractable awning or a slide-on-wire awning so you can control the amount of shade or overhead cover you want during your party
- You can rent tables and chairs for seating and dining or you can buy some beautiful wick, wood, or other types of backyard furniture
- Accent your backyard furniture and area with holiday themed cushions, table cloths, flowers, and other center pieces
- Use decorations like hanging lanterns and strings of light
- Put up a Christmas tree to add to the holiday spirit
- Use an outdoor fire pit – the kind that are portable – as a center piece for a lounging area and remember to be fire safe
- You can also use tiki torches or solar powered lighting to add to the ambience
You can even have your gift exchange outside and create a unique experience for your family and friends. If you live in a warm place like California – where the sun is always shining – then you can also have an all day holiday party with a barbeque lunch in the afternoon and Christmas dinner in the evening.
Remember, your backyard is an outdoor living area; it’s an extension of your home. Utilizing this space is just another way to enjoy your home, especially during the holidays.